Friday, April 2, 2010

{Baking the day away...}

"In cold weather, it was no small amusement to bake..."


I don't know why I haven't done this before. I think I always assumed that Squirrel was too young to bake cookies with, but she had it down in seconds flat! She loved rolling out the dough, pushing in the cutters and helping to carefully place them on the pan. She especially loved the icing and sprinkles, which she devoured in great fistfuls whenever I turned my back.

We used the "Best Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe", and it really was a fantastic recipe. The cookies it turned out were sheer perfection. We rolled it out when it was very cold, almost solid, so that we could make thick cookies that were easy to cut and transfer.

Here's the recipe:
Best Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups all-purpose white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt.

1. Cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla.
2. When mixed, add dry ingredients and beat until even.
3. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour (or overnight).
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut shapes and place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes. (Some of ours took a little longer--up to ten minutes depending on thickness.)


And, here's the photos!





Pushing those cookie cutters in is hard work! 



















No small amusement indeed--baking was just what we needed when the Spring we thought was coming turned into an April Fool's Day blizzard!

1 comment:

  1. what great pictures

    I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. I LIVE for comments.
You can leave one here!