Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cheap and Fun Mother's Day Craft

This is actually our craft from last year, seeing as I didn't want to spoil the surprise for the grandmas, and if I waited until after the kids had given them away, the post would be too late. So, for this year, here's what we made...if my kids look a little young, it's because they are. :)

Supplies Needed:
Paint (we used finger paint, but anything would work...just depends on how disposable your kids' clothes are!)
Frame
Matte board for frame
Camera
Fine tipped felt pen

First up, we used the finger paint and let the kids make thumb prints on the matte board. 

This was their favorite part, and though I helped, I was not too worried about 
the shape or size being uniform. 

We kept some scrap paper handy for those first, messy prints after each dip into the paint. 


We used red for one and yellow for the other (you'll see why soon!). 


Then it was time for the photo shoot...

It went about as well as you might imagine...




Luckily, outtakes are fun too!


Finally, we got something we could use! 

By the time the photo is taken, your thumbprints should be dry...now to turn them into something! 

Using a fine tipped felt pen, I added dots and antennae to the red thumb prints to make ladybugs... 


And stripes and antennae to the yellow dots to make bumblebees! 


We printed the photo off at a local one hour center, and voila! 
A perfect, springy frame filled with some of the grandmas' favorite kiddos for Mother's Day! 


Enjoy! 


Photobucket

  Tip Junkie handmade projects 

7 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea!
    I am starting my own linky party ToDaY!
    It's the first one. I would love it if you would participate! It's called $10 Tuesdays and it's for things that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 mins (ish) to complete. I love inexpensive and quick projects and I'm guessing others will too ;) Thanks so much for considering.
    Tina Watschke
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So CUTE!!! Especially the kiddo's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is buzzing with creative simplicity and wonder! I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking up to my 20 minute tuesday party ;)
    i'm GIVING FIFTY button pony tailers to the first 50 who follow my blog AND like me on FB. I need an email with your address too if you have done both.
    Hope you play along and get a free pony tailer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing it!!! I love it and totally needed something else lady bug to give to my mom for mothers day! I would totally love it if you would link this up to my linky party! I can't wait to get started on this tonight! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I featured this project on Fun Friday Finds today. I hope you will stop by and take a peak.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. I LIVE for comments.
You can leave one here!