Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Be not simply good; be good for something."

Hey blog friends!
Did I tell you I'm a "runner" now? No?
Well, that's because I think I actually walk faster than I run.
Seriously.
I run a 14 minute mile.

On a good day. 

Recently a friend posted this photo on facebook, and I am pretty sure it was created just for me:


But that's okay, because, as they say, a mile is a mile, right?

I started a Couch to 5K program several months ago, at the end of April. It's an eight week program. I think I am on week, like, 497. In my defense, I really did start from the couch, straight up lazy butt.

Anyway, I haven't ACTUALLY hit the 5K mark. I've gotten close, but never made it.

Alternately, I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. I am not a huge fan of birthdays anyway, I think they are kind of embarrassing, all those well wishes for basically doing nothing. I mean, really, all I did was enter the world, which admittedly, didn't require a whole lot of effort on MY part. I am turning 29 this year (for the first time), and I just have been feeling like I want to do something GOOD for my birthday, and not "good" like I-want-to-sit-in-my-house-while-Rob-takes-the-kids-out-and-gorge-myself-on-cake-and-Kit-Kats-while-I-watch-too-many-episodes-of-Grey's-Anatomy-and-surf-Pinterest "good" (because, let's be honest, that does sound like a pretty sweet way to spend a day...). I mean I want to accomplish something for good. I want to make my birthday a celebration that shows that one person can make a difference.

And so, the other day, while I was staggering my way through the last 1/2 mile of my 2.64 mile run, I saw some signs for a local 5K the very weekend following my birthday. All the funds go to help building a hospital in rural Kenya, and so, I will be running for GOOD as my birthday present to me. I have little doubt that I will come in absolutely last. But I also know I can finish it! I'd like to enter the race at the $100 level. And that is where the shameless part of this post comes in.

If you are willing and able, will you help me help Kenya? All the proceeds from the race, as well as any money raised beyond the entry cost, will go to Going Beyond Borders, the non-profit receiving the proceeds from the race.

I figure if I can get just a few people to help out, something amazing can happen! And I can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday and thanking God and the world for the very blessed 29 years I have enjoyed than to give to those in need and accomplish a very personal goal at the same time.

If you are able to donate, please go here. Every little bit will help!

Thank you for stopping by!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. I LIVE for comments.
You can leave one here!